Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Vols vs. UNC-Ashville

Tate's Take

My thoughts from the first half of the UNC Ashville game because I do not think I can watch much of the second half of this blowout. I have never seen a team up by 52 at the half

First of all, I do not care how good or bad UNCA is the defense played tonight is nothing short of great. Also, the shooting, especially early on, was outstanding. If Scotty keeps shooting like that then he will definitely be gone after this year, which of course goes without saying. I love the way this team came out and fought and played hard the entire half even when they got up really big. I like how Kenny Hall plays and the leadership shown by Tyler Smith. Wayne, Brian, and J.P. did what they needed to. I was happy to see Swiper Boy get some early PT and played fairly well I thought.

Now for some negatives. I know some here do not like JP at all. I know he plays well and then makes a boneheaded play. I just don't get Cam Tatum. To me the guy just looks lost and seems to play with no confidence. Honestly he really looks bad at basketball. My thing is if you don't like JP I get it that’s fine and I clearly understand it but Tatum is worse. Skylar McBee may turn out to be a good player, but right now he kinda reminds me of Dane Bradshaw which is not all negative. I think he is a better shooter, but he hasn't proven it yet in a game. Point Guard play is average I think. Goins seems to be a bulldog on defense, but what can he do on offense. B Maze still seems about like last year which is just OK. Finally, with all he does good Scotty needs to be more unselfish on the break. He almost never gives the ball up.

Fritts' Take

*When I turned the game on it was 25-1. I watched the rest of the game and was completely entertained throughout. I would not have been had it been a Lady Vols game. That is the single biggest difference between the men's & women's game.

*The last time we beat a team like that was 2007-08 when we beat MTSU by 69. The time before that was the 1966-67 season. The 2007 team was #1 in America at 1 point. The 67 team won the SEC all by itself.  I'm just saying.

*I don't see how in the world you can say that Cam Tatum & J.P Prince are any where similar. The only thing that is the same about them is that they are both African-American. And they can dunk. Tatum is twice the offensive player J.P. is. He can shoot the three, drive to the basket, and offensive rebound. He is also not a lazy bum who salutes after doing the only offensive move he has. J.P., you are not a f*cking soldier.

*While watching Brian Williams attempt to catch basketball after basket ball last night, I thought to myself, "I wonder if ole' Briany Boy has ever seen a pait of tits when he was in charge of the bra?". He just looks too clumsy to deal with anything like that.

*We need to rebound better. We should not have the same number of rebounds as a team whose tallest guy is shorter than our small forward. We just shouldn't.

*For the people who say, "It was just UNC-Ashville", please note that UNC-Ashville has a Big South Player of the Year Candidate on it's team and is also considered a contender in their Conference. So while UT should have handled the Bulldogs easily, a 75 point margin of victory is a 75 point margin of victory.

1 comment:

  1. Tatum is going to be the second best 3point shooter on the team if he is not already. I was more impressed that he took it towards the basket a few times. That tells me his knee is better and he is regaining his confidence and explosion. JP can be aggravating, but he is a very valuable piece to the team this year. If his attitude is right, we are going to have fun. Chism and Hopson look more determined. Williams and Woolridge need a full season lesson on being tough in the post. The PG situstion needs to play out, because they have not faced real competition yet. All this is happening, while Tyler lets his teammates work on their game. A great performance against a weaker team. The Vols did what they needed to do. They put the foot on UNCA's throad and did not let up. I like the mentality.

    ReplyDelete